Stolen Says highlights the best of New York City from bar scenes to brunches. As fantastic and fun as all of that is, sometimes the best evenings are those spent in your own apartment with a couple of your closest friends, a bottle of wine, and delicious home-cooked meal.
This week’s Dinner w/Fifi & Himay is (drum roll, please): Tofu Scramble!!
By which I mean Brunch, actually, w/Fifi and my old roomie Sten, who decided to visit us last weekend. Sten
abandoned me departed from New York in pursuit of an MD from Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, OH. While I am excessively happy that she is fulfilling her lifelong dream of becoming a doctor, it also cheers me to no end when she decides to make the 10 hour drive back to New York to visit. Sten is the ultimate vegan. In the year we lived together she imparted so much vegan wisdom to me, and is wholly responsible for the vegan kicks I go on every other week. So naturally it stands to reason that when Sten is present, Fifi and I make vegan meals. This way Sten has more to do than stand around looking pretty and raving about how interesting teratomas are (she’s brilliant, that one — would that I could be so passionate in my every day life).
So: Tofu scramble with mushrooms and onions and assorted other veggies (the inclusion of garlic is always a safe bet), vegan “sausage” links, and pancakes. Yum. Fifi cooked while I took my time getting up and getting ready and walking and getting coffee at the bake shop, and walking some more. I actually missed the entire cooking process, unfortunately, so all I can tell you is that it was delicious, filling, and that I could go for some any day of the week. Maybe it’s psychosomatic, but vegan food always leaves me feeling more energized and healthy (well, almost always — vegan red velvet cupcakes still sink me into a bit of a carb coma).
Follow me on:
- Trying to gather my things before the redeye back to ny, but, *where* are my @DerekLamNYC leopard print slipperrrsss?!? 11 months ago
- I am wearing a sweat*er*. And I am sweat*ing*. So I guess it's working. #sweaterweather 1 year ago
- RT @calvinstowell: Someone forgot to delete his tweets. twitter.com/govpencein/sta… 1 year ago
- Same. And then my phone pings: "Brunch?" twitter.com/motiankari/sta… 1 year ago
- RT @StyledByStolen: Woke up to an interesting realization abt how a particular color can pervade our life - check it out on my snap story:… 1 year ago