New York City. The city that never sleeps, glittering with all its energetic, enthusiastic, forward-driven, upwardly-mobile might. The gleam you see comes not just from the eyes of its energetic, enthusiastic, forward-driven, upwardly-mobile inhabitants but from the windows & lights of those tall skyscrapers – the Chrysler Building, the Empire State Building, and many other famed New York structures that make up the majority of our concrete jungle. Of course as human beings we still need that connection with nature to keep us grounded, and for that reason we have places like Central Park, Fort Tryon Park, and in a fantastic merging of the two worlds, the Highline.
Running from Gansevoort Street up 11th Avenue to 34th Street (so far), the Highline is the only elevated park in New York City, and was created out of a double initiative to “green” New York and reclaim the tracks of an old freight line that lost its use in the mid-eighties, when trucking became a more cost-effective mode of transporting goods. The process is ongoing, but the portion that’s currently finished is kind of amazing. AM visited last weekend, having seen some of the oodles of press the Highline has been getting – national geographic did a piece, and even the Roanoke Times (where my sister & bro-in-law live & work) had a feature. Naturally (pun intended, hehe) AM wanted to check it out. We both decided that if we lived closer, we would definitely be regulars at the Highline, along with whatever book or beau we were exploring at any given moment.
Follow me on:
- Trying to gather my things before the redeye back to ny, but, *where* are my @DerekLamNYC leopard print slipperrrsss?!? 11 months ago
- I am wearing a sweat*er*. And I am sweat*ing*. So I guess it's working. #sweaterweather 1 year ago
- RT @calvinstowell: Someone forgot to delete his tweets. twitter.com/govpencein/sta… 1 year ago
- Same. And then my phone pings: "Brunch?" twitter.com/motiankari/sta… 1 year ago
- RT @StyledByStolen: Woke up to an interesting realization abt how a particular color can pervade our life - check it out on my snap story:… 1 year ago